Although social justice art is not a topic exclusive to the 20th and 21st centuries, the distribution of information regarding controversial art with gender, race, sexual, and/or environmental themes has increased with the proliferation of media. Choose an example of a social justice work of art from the 20th or 21st centuries from any discipline of the humanities (music, literature, sculpture, film, television, etc.). Then, address the following:
- Identify the work and the medium.
- Based on your example, to what extent does this work of art make a social contribution?
- What aesthetic value does the work have? How does it reflect the human condition? How does it relate to your life?
- Has this work ever been censored? If so, explain the circumstances.
- Are governments ever justified in censoring art? Why or why not?
- Examine some of the influences of this work of art. What was the public reaction to this work? Does it effectively portray its message?
- Argue whether or not this work should be considered art. Explain why using terms learned in this course.
- Include an accompanying statement from the artist(s) and a statement from a critic to support your points.
For these types of nursing essays and nursing assignments, contact Nursing Pro Writers. They are all specialized in all forms of writing formats including APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago and many more.